Saturday, August 16, 2008

Settling in to Honduras

Today I met with the principle of Holy Family. I think I am really going to enjoy working as a chaplin and religion teacher this year. I decided to teach my religion classes in the chaple in order to try and connect the worship to the study of religon and faith. The school has a list of values that I will use as my base line for my instruction for each grade level. I also will be the home room teacher for the 5th grade class teaching them as well. I will be helping assit a class on social studies 7, 8,9th graders. I realize also that I will have to change what I am wearing for clergy shirts so that I may not drop dead from the heat...hace calor mucho aqui. I knew it was going to be warm yet the black clergy shirts from England don't cut it yet they will have to work for now. I am glad I am spending some down time writting. Today my fellow colluges and I will be going shoping at the super market again. I am on the out look for flowing skirts to wear with my clergy shirts for work...I am sure one is wondering why the connection between the supper market and skirs? The one I went to yesterday had everything it was like a Walmart Latino style. I had a great time hanging out with the girls watching TV. The girls were watching the MTV Lation version. I am worried about what body images they are seeing on the music videos. I know that it's way to early in getting to know not only the girls and also the Latino culture as an anglo I have no place to judge. Yet, as time passes and trust is hopefully established I hope to open discussions about body image for teens. I think this is a vital part of mission to work with youth to see themseleves a beautiful in the eyes of God.
Paz de Dios,
Valerie

No comments: